It’s crazy to think how much the standard classroom model has shifted and changed in such a short time. The need for effective Distance Learning & Digital Classroom resources has never been greater! My Strategy Focused Response pages originated as a bookmark students would use each week alongside their Literature Circle assigned reading. Each week, students would receive a new reading assignment and a new bookmark filled with strategy focused activities to complete while they read the newly assigned chapters. I quickly realized the effectiveness of this model, and with the shift to Distance Learning & Google Classroom Friendly resources, I adapted the bookmarks to a single, Strategy Focused Digital Reading Response.
These Strategy Focused Student Response pages are so extremely accommodating, their application and potential in the classroom go far beyond Literature Circles where they originated.
Active Reading Strategies & Elements of Fiction Response Pages Available:
- Making Connections (Free Download)
- Making Predictions
- Making Inferences
- Asking Questions
- Active Reading Strategies BUNDLE
- Setting (Free Download)
- Point of View | Voice
- Mood | Tone
- Story Map
- Elements of Fiction BUNDLE
Benefits Behind the Digital Response Pages:
- These activities can be used with any text. Specifically fiction, novels, and digital reading passages. This allows you to use them again and again. Based on the text assigned you can easily differentiate amongst your students and apply rigor. You can also use them to go completely digital and assign Digital Reading Passages for students to respond to.
- These activities are editable through Google Drive. You can easily and quickly edit the text to your classroom’s needs, or alter the text to include more text-specific questions. The Active Reading Strategies are also editable in a way that you can completely customize the activities by moving different sections in and out of the response area.
- Use hard copies in the classroom, or assign the Digital Version Student Response pages in Google Classroom. Whether you start in the classroom, as a hybrid model, or distance learning classroom, you won’t skip a beat moving from one type of learning to the other. These pages are made to accommodate your unique needs as a teacher.
- By focusing student’s reading assignments on a single strategy you simplify your planning. Teach a whole class mini-lesson on the strategy of the week, practice together, then allow students to work independently with an appropriate text as they demonstrate the modeled strategy. This simplifies your planning 10 fold, while still allowing you to differentiate to your student’s needs.
- By focusing on a single strategy classroom discussions can be united and depth from different texts is added. No matter what text you are using, as long as the strategy is the same, students can connect, relate, and give great insight to a strategy that may have been one dimensional by only using a whole-class text.
- By focusing on a single strategy students go beyond and go deeper than the typical reading comprehension quiz at the end of a comprehensive digital reading passage.
- By focusing on a single strategy you are able to more easily pinpoint and assess your student’s needs. Rather than assigning an all strategy based comprehensive quiz at the end of a reading passage.
- The use and application of these pages are endless. Use these anywhere there is some type of reading assignment. Think ELA integration with History, Social Studies, or even use the Active Reading Strategies in Science. Use these as a Guided Reading lesson, Literacy Station Rotations, Whole-Class Novels, Classroom Book Clubs, or how they originated in weekly Literature Circle Assignments.
- Printable| Editable Version Student Response Included. Decide to go the hard copy route? No problem, a print and go version of the product is included. Best part, I’ve sized it to work perfectly as a glue in with interactive notebooks!
- This product is flexible across a large span of grade levels. Because it is text-dependent it can be used and implemented in grades as young as elementary looking to study chapter books or novels, to your middle school upper grades and High School Students. The rigor of the text creates the rigor of the assignment.
How to use in a Digital Learning Classroom:
I would begin each Strategy Focused Reading Response with a Mini-Lesson based on the strategy you will be assigning with the reading. Introducing the strategy for the week can be done easily over Zoom, Google Meet, or Screen Castify. Do this live with your class and save the recording to google classroom, or simply do a pre-recorded video for students to watch on their own time.
I teach the mini-lessons using a (To, With, By Model.) Model the mini-lesson of the strategy to the students. Let’s say your strategy for the week is the Active Reading Strategy: Making Predictions. Begin by introducing what making predictions is, then Modeling it using a picture book or short passage TO the students. Making sure you are explaining your thinking and reasoning aloud as they simply observe. Next, do a similar lesson WITH the students. This time they interact and ask questions as you complete the remainder of the passage or book all while making predictions and modeling your thinking as you go. At the end of the mini-lesson, students will be prepared to Make Predictions BY themselves as they work on the assigned reading and assigned Making Predictions Strategy Focused Digital Response on their own.
This is the model I would use weekly. Students then have the week to complete their assigned reading, and the strategy focused reading response. At the start of the next week, you will introduce a new strategy, explicitly teach it, and students will focus on that single strategy while they complete their reading for the week. This simple pattern will GREATLY reduce your stress and planning, as well as student anxiety all while increasing the effectiveness of your lessons and student’s reading comprehension!
You can go completely digital by assigning the differentiated reading passages or assignments through sites like Epic, Common Lit, Read Works, Newsela, or Freckle, or give students a hard copy of a novel and assign different chapters each week. Each week students will focus on perfecting a single strategy, reading skill, or element of fiction while they read!
Because the entire class is focused on the same strategy, having students respond to a strategy focused question, or having a group discussion can be really rewarding. Despite everyone using different texts, their response will be focused and just as meaningful to a student not reading the same text. Use the Digital Versions of the accompanying Roll and Respond Sheets to have students respond at the end of their reading assignment using digital tools like FlipGrid, Screen Castify, Zoom, or Google Meet! Click Here to Learn More about the Roll & Respond Pages and “How to Keep Students Focused and Accountable During Group Book Discussions.” Every Strategy Focused Digital Response Page has a corresponding Strategy Focused Roll & Respond Discussion Question Activity!
Give it a Whirl, Enjoy this Free Download:
***Remember these downloads are for personal use only. Your membership is good for one license of each product, meaning sharing or emailing with a friend is strictly prohibited. However, telling a friend how to become a member and download on their own is warmly encouraged and very much appreciated!
Interested in Purchasing? Scroll to the End of the Blog Post for Details & Ways to Save!
If you liked this, make sure to check out these related posts! (Freebies Included)
- If you would like to learn more about,” How to Set up & Organize Literature Circles, Book Clubs, or Novel Studies in your Classroom,” Click Here.
- If you are looking to learn more about, “How to Get More Out of Your Literature Circles, Book Clubs, or Novel Studies with Strategy Focused Reading Assignments,” Click Here
- If you would like to learn more about, “Setting Up Your Classroom for Distance Learning, Virtual Teaching or a Modified Schedule,” Click Here
- If you would like to learn more about, “Why You Should Set-Up Literature Circle Roles|Jobs in the Upper Grades and How to Do So,” Click Here
Save BIG with BUNDLES: These include Strategy Focused Digital Response pages & Corresponding Roll & Respond Strategy Focused Questions.
Watch the video above to see what’s included in the BIG BUNDLE
Strategy Focused Digital Response BUNDLES:
See video above for a full preview of what’s included in the Mega Bundle
Individual Active Reading Digital Response Pages:
Individual Elements of Fiction Digital Response Pages:
Stay in the loop, let’s connect!
To stay up-to-date on new blog posts, freebies, exclusive promo codes, and sales… Join the Teaching on Lemon Lane Community! Pick any or all of the following to stay in the loop of all things Teaching on Lemon Lane.
- Follow @TeachingonlemonLane on Instagram
- Like Teaching on Lemon Lane on Facebook
- Join our exclusive Teaching on Lemon Lane Facebook Group
- Sign-Up for our Monthly Newsletter: No Spam, only make your life easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy goodness… Promise.
If you enjoyed this PLEASE SHARE! Sharing on Pinterest, Facebook, or tagging on Instagram is a simple, yet wonderful way to support the efforts of Teaching on Lemon Lane!