Come Follow Me: Book of Mormon, Teaching Ideas and Free Resources
3 Nephi 1 – 7
QUESTIONS TO PONDER:
Each Come Follow Me Lesson asks important and reflective questions. When I first began my individual study these questions threw me off. Simply because many of these questions required so much depth and individual reflection in order to answer honestly. My first approach to come follow me was to get in, get out, get it done, check it off. These questions simply didn’t allow me to do so. In fact, I felt a little sick when I would read a question like, “How does the spirit speak to you?” and I wouldn’t know the answer right away. After a time, and pondering on that specific question I realized IT’S OKAY. In fact, I think these questions were meant to be set aside, thought about, and pondered. When we try and come up with the quick easy, obvious, answer, we are depriving ourselves of an opportunity to reflect, ponder, pray, and RECEIVE REVELATION. Is this not the whole reason for Come Follow Me? Are we not trying to finetune and recognize how we, and how to receive personal revelation.
So each week I will list out some of the questions issued in Come Follow Me. Maybe you pick to ponder about all of them, maybe you pick just one. Whatever you do, ponder on this for the ENTIRE week. Pray about it, discuss it with loved ones, then at the start of the new week, take the time to write down your impressions or thoughts, share them with your family, testify of powerful insights.
- How do you imagine you would have felt if you had been one of the believers during the time described in 3 Nephi 1–7?
- How might it have felt, for example, to wait for the night with no darkness that would announce the Savior’s birth, knowing you would be killed if it didn’t happen?
- As you read 3 Nephi 1:4–21 and 5:1–3, look for what Nephi and the other believers did to keep their faith during these difficult times. How did the Lord bless them?
- What do you learn that can help when you find yourself waiting for blessings promised by the Lord?
You might think that witnessing something so miraculous as a night without darkness would stay with you for a long time and be an anchor to your testimony. But the memories of the signs and wonders the Nephites witnessed seemed to fade over time. What caused them to forget, and what were the results of forgetting? (see 3 Nephi 1:22; 2:1–3).
What are you doing to remember and renew your witness of spiritual truths? For example, consider how recording your spiritual experiences can help you.
How will you share your witness with those closest to you to help them believe?
- What do you think it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
- In 3 Nephi 5:12–26, Mormon interrupted his abridgment of the Nephite records and declared that he was a disciple of Jesus Christ. Then, in 3 Nephi 7:15–26, he described the ministry of another disciple—the prophet Nephi. What do you find in these two passages that helps you understand what it means to be a disciple of Christ?
- What did the Nephites do when they saw the Gadianton robbers coming? What can our family learn from the Nephites when we face difficult situations? What can we learn from the Nephites’ words after the Lord helped them in their time of difficulty?
- 3 Nephi 5:13; Doctrine and Covenants 41:5
- Read 3 Nephi 5:13 and Doctrine and Covenants 41:5, and discuss what it means to be a disciple of Christ. Maybe family members could talk about times when they noticed each other being disciples. If you have small children, you might make a badge that says, “I am a disciple of Jesus Christ,” and let them wear the badge whenever you notice them following the Savior.
If you do any of these activities PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take pictures and tag me! Post to the Facebook group, or tag @livingonlemonlane on Instagram! Don’t forget to pin these images to your Pinterest. This is a SMALL and SIMPLE way to support the efforts of Living on Lemon Lane and sharing these ideas with your friends and family.
Make sure to tag a friend to help spread the word.
Teaching Ideas for Toddlers & Young Children
Watch or Listen To:
With a 2-year-old and 4-year-old, I understand the STRUGGLE and the attention span you are dealing with. Below are some of my favorite videos or audio recordings|podcasts you can listen to and watch with your children. My favorites right now are the Book of Mormon Story videos.**Different from the newly released B.O.M. videos. These are illustrated and READ stories to your children. THESE are PERFECT for when everyone is strapped in the car seat. My 4-year-old now requests these over the radio. Each segment is only 2-4 minutes long. This allows us to listen, review and discuss together, and listen again throughout the week. Many of the videos I share can be found on the Saint’s Radio Channel App. (Formerly Mormon Channel App, If you don’t already have this, DOWNLOAD NOW.)
I am absolutely LOVING the YouTube Channel, Latter Day Kids. Each week they put out a beautifully illustrated video meant for young children to be used in conjunction with the Come Follow Me Lessons. This week’s video is all about All Things Denoting there is a God! You can even head to their website to download discussion questions to go along with the video and a fun coloring page.
If you have trouble finding the activity from the link above this one is a direct link, however, please remember to subscribe to Latter Day Kids as a way to THANK them for sharing their talents FREELY.
The ONLY Paid Subscription I use for Come Follow Me
I’ve recently teamed up with David Bowman artist, author and creator of the Drawn-In Video Subscription to bring a discount to all Living on Lemon Lane readers. This is the ONLY Paid Come Follow Me product that I have a subscription to, and it is worth every cent. Each week you get TWO engaging and fun videos (around 20 minutes long each!) as well as exclusive content and printables! Like his books, instead of just introducing the scripture story he explains a principle, then takes it a step further by exploring APPLICATION. Click here to watch his Free Videos, If you’re interested make sure to use the promo code LEMONLANE10 at checkout to receive 10% off of the yearly membership!
Click Here to Learn More, Use Code LEMONLANE10 for an exclusive discount off the yearly membership!Head to davidbowmanart.com to watch more FREE episodes and learn more about subscribing ($4.95 per month – gets you 2 episodes PER WEEK that go directly with Come Follow Me as well as supplemental PDF print outs)
PODCAST FOR KIDS:
- Wonderful Podcast geared towards younger (Primary) reviewing some of the chapters this week.
- Illustrated Book of Mormon page 114
- Jared’s Journal: Story from the Friend
- The Perfect Match: Story from the Friend
Activity Suggestions from the Friend or the Come Follow Me Manual:
- I LOVE using the Institute and Seminary Manuals to aid my study! They answer questions, provide insight and background coupled with beautiful quotes from Prophets and Apostles.
- O Remember, Remember By Elder Eyering
- Spiritually Defining Memories: Elder Andersen
Individual Study & Extension
Watch or Listen To:
- John Welch Notes: Learn about the Book of Mormon with verse by verse commentaries from renowned Book of Mormon scholar.
:MOST IMPORTANT PART:
Comment below and share YOUR favorite resources for this week of Come Follow Me in the Book of Mormon. Join the conversation on @livingonlemonlane on Instagram and stay updated on new blog posts! If you enjoyed this PLEASE SHARE! Till next week.