Come Follow Me: Book of Mormon, Teaching Ideas and Free Resources
3 NEPHI 8 – 11
QUESTIONS TO PONDER:
Each Come Follow Me Lesson asks important and reflective questions. When I first began my individual study these questions threw me off. Simply because many of these questions required so much depth and individual reflection in order to answer honestly. My first approach to come follow me was to get in, get out, get it done, check it off. These questions simply didn’t allow me to do so. In fact, I felt a little sick when I would read a question like, “How does the spirit speak to you?” and I wouldn’t know the answer right away. After a time, and pondering on that specific question I realized IT’S OKAY. In fact, I think these questions were meant to be set aside, thought about, and pondered. When we try and come up with the quick easy, obvious, answer, we are depriving ourselves of an opportunity to reflect, ponder, pray, and RECEIVE REVELATION. Is this not the whole reason for Come Follow Me? Are we not trying to finetune and recognize how we, and how to receive personal revelation.
So each week I will list out some of the questions issued in Come Follow Me. Maybe you pick to ponder about all of them, maybe you pick just one. Whatever you do, ponder on this for the ENTIRE week. Pray about it, discuss it with loved ones, then at the start of the new week, take the time to write down your impressions or thoughts, share them with your family, testify of powerful insights.
- You might notice that themes related to darkness and light—both physical and spiritual—are repeated throughout 3 Nephi 8–11. What do you learn from these chapters about spiritual darkness and light?
- How do you imagine the people felt after experiencing the destruction and darkness described in 3 Nephi 8?
- Search 3 Nephi 9–10 for evidence of Christ’s mercy and His eagerness to forgive. For example, what do you find in 3 Nephi 9:13–22 and 10:1–6 that helps you feel the Savior’s love and mercy?
- Ponder experiences when you have felt Him “gather” and “nourish” you (see 3 Nephi 10:4). Consider recording these experiences in a journal or sharing them with your loved ones.
- Have you ever felt that you were struggling to understand a message that God was communicating to you? Perhaps the experience of the people in 3 Nephi 11:1–8 can help you understand some principles of hearing and understanding God’s voice. You might note the characteristics of God’s voice that the people heard and what they did to better understand it. How might this account apply to your efforts to hear and recognize the voice of God in your life through personal revelation?
- There were about 2,500 people gathered in Bountiful when Jesus Christ appeared (see 3 Nephi 17:25). Despite this large number, the Savior invited them each “one by one” to feel the nail prints in His hands and feet (3 Nephi 11:14–15). What does this suggest to you about the importance of having personal experiences that build faith in Jesus Christ?
- In what ways does the Savior invite you to “arise and come forth unto” Him? (3 Nephi 11:14).
- What experiences have helped you gain a witness that He is your Savior?
- You might also consider how the Savior’s example in these verses could inspire your efforts to minister to others.
- Why does the Savior want to gather us close to Him?
- Is someone in your family preparing to be baptized? Reading 3 Nephi 11:21–38 could help them prepare. How can pondering the Savior’s teachings in these verses help family members who have already been baptized?
- What do these verses teach us about contention?
- How can we “[do] away” with contention in our home? (3 Nephi 11:30).
If you do any of these activities PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take pictures and tag me! Post to the Facebook group, or tag @livingonlemonlane on Instagram! Don’t forget to pin these images to your Pinterest. This is a SMALL and SIMPLE way to support the efforts of Living on Lemon Lane and sharing these ideas with your friends and family.
Make sure to tag a friend to help spread the word.
Teaching Ideas for Toddlers & Young Children
Watch or Listen To:
With a 2-year-old and 4-year-old, I understand the STRUGGLE and the attention span you are dealing with. Below are some of my favorite videos or audio recordings|podcasts you can listen to and watch with your children. My favorites right now are the Book of Mormon Story videos.**Different from the newly released B.O.M. videos. These are illustrated and READ stories to your children. THESE are PERFECT for when everyone is strapped in the car seat. My 4-year-old now requests these over the radio. Each segment is only 2-4 minutes long. This allows us to listen, review and discuss together, and listen again throughout the week. Many of the videos I share can be found on the Saint’s Radio Channel App. (Formerly Mormon Channel App, If you don’t already have this, DOWNLOAD NOW.)
I am absolutely LOVING the YouTube Channel, Latter Day Kids. Each week they put out a beautifully illustrated video meant for young children to be used in conjunction with the Come Follow Me Lessons. This week’s video is all about All Things Denoting there is a God! You can even head to their website to download discussion questions to go along with the video and a fun coloring page.
If you have trouble finding the activity from the link above this one is a direct link, however, please remember to subscribe to Latter Day Kids as a way to THANK them for sharing their talents FREELY.
The ONLY Paid Subscription I use for Come Follow Me
I’ve recently teamed up with David Bowman artist, author and creator of the Drawn-In Video Subscription to bring a discount to all Living on Lemon Lane readers. This is the ONLY Paid Come Follow Me product that I have a subscription to, and it is worth every cent. Each week you get TWO engaging and fun videos (around 20 minutes long each!) as well as exclusive content and printables! Like his books, instead of just introducing the scripture story he explains a principle, then takes it a step further by exploring APPLICATION. Click here to watch his Free Videos, If you’re interested make sure to use the promo code LEMONLANE10 at checkout to receive 10% off of the yearly membership!
Click Here to Learn More, Use Code LEMONLANE10 for an exclusive discount off the yearly membership!Head to davidbowmanart.com to watch more FREE episodes and learn more about subscribing ($4.95 per month – gets you 2 episodes PER WEEK that go directly with Come Follow Me as well as supplemental PDF print outs)
PODCAST FOR KIDS:
- Wonderful Podcast geared towards younger (Primary) reviewing some of the chapters this week.
- Illustrated Book of Mormon page 117
- Book of Mormon Stories Young Readers ***My Favorite (INCLUDES VIDEO)
- Jesus Visits the Nephites Friend Article
- Bull Fight: Story from the Friend
- The Holy Ghost is: Graphic Organizer for the Friend
- How Can I feel Close to the Savior
Activity Suggestions from the Friend or the Come Follow Me Manual:
- I LOVE using the Institute and Seminary Manuals to aid my study! They answer questions, provide insight and background coupled with beautiful quotes from Prophets and Apostles.
- How to Tune into the Holy Ghost
- Youth Voices: Coming Unto Christ
- How to Come Unto Christ: Holland
Watch or Listen To:
- John Welch Notes: Learn about the Book of Mormon with verse by verse commentaries from renowned Book of Mormon scholar.
- Come Unto Christ: Eyring
- What Caused the Darkness and Destruction in the 34th Year?
:MOST IMPORTANT PART:
Comment below and share YOUR favorite resources for this week of Come Follow Me in the Book of Mormon. Join the conversation on @livingonlemonlane on Instagram and stay updated on new blog posts! If you enjoyed this PLEASE SHARE! Till next week.