TO STAY UP TO DATE, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW @LIVINGONLEMONLANE ON INSTAGRAM!
Make sure to tag a friend to help spread the word.
Week 20: Come Follow Me: Book of Mormon, Teaching Ideas and Free Resources
May 11th – 17th
MOSIAH 18 – 24
Questions to Ponder:
Each Come Follow Me Lesson asks important and reflective questions. When I first began my individual study these questions threw me off. Simply because many of these questions required so much depth and individual reflection in order to answer honestly. My first approach to come follow me was to get in, get out, get it done, check it off. These questions simply didn’t allow me to do so. In fact, I felt a little sick when I would read a question like, “How does the spirit speak to you?” and I wouldn’t know the answer right away. After a time, and pondering on that specific question I realized IT’S OKAY. In fact, I think these questions were meant to be set aside, thought about, and pondered. When we try and come up with the quick easy, obvious, answer, we are depriving ourselves of an opportunity to reflect, ponder, pray, and RECEIVE REVELATION. Is this not the whole reason for Come Follow Me? Are we not trying to finetune and recognize how we, and how to receive personal revelation.
So each week I will list out some of the questions issued in Come Follow Me. Maybe you pick to ponder about all of them, maybe you pick just one. Whatever you do, ponder on this for the ENTIRE week. Pray about it, discuss it with loved ones, then at the start of the new week, take the time to write down your impressions or thoughts, share them with your family, testify of powerful insights.
What do you learn from these verses about the promises you made at baptism? What does God promise you?
How does the covenant to serve God (see verse 10) relate to our efforts to minister to one another? (see verses 8–9).
What are you doing to keep your promises?
How does keeping your baptismal covenant help you be “filled with the Spirit”? (Mosiah 18:14). How does the Spirit help you keep your covenant?
- This account also reveals the proper mode of baptism. What do you learn in verses 14–17 about how baptism should be performed?
- What else do you learn about baptism from Matthew 3:16; Romans 6:3–5; 3 Nephi 11:21–28; and Doctrine and Covenants 20:72–74?
- How do the teachings in Mosiah 18:17–30 inspire you to be a better member of the Church?
- What can you do to help your ward or branch members be “knit together in unity and in love”? (Mosiah 18:21).
- What do you find in Mosiah 19–20 that would lead Gideon to declare that Abinadi’s prophecies had been fulfilled? (see Mosiah 20:21). How does this account strengthen your faith in the warnings and counsel of God’s prophets and your commitment to follow their words? When have you seen a prophet’s words fulfilled in our day?
- What can you learn by comparing the accounts of Limhi’s people in Mosiah 19–22 and Alma’s people in Mosiah 18; 23–24? You could note how each of these groups responded to captivity or how each was eventually delivered. As you do, look for messages that apply to your life. For example, what do you learn from these accounts that will help you carry your burdens?
- What can we do to share our testimonies with others?
- What can we learn about our baptismal covenant from these verses? (see also Doctrine and Covenants 20:73, 77–79). What are we doing to prepare for or keep our baptismal covenant?
- What places have special meaning to us because of the spiritual experiences we had there?
- What do we learn by comparing the captivity of Alma’s people and Limhi’s people?
- What do these verses teach us about some of the ways the Lord answers prayers?
For this week’s lesson, I couldn’t get Bednar’s conference address, “Bear Up Your Burdens with Ease,” out of my head. I kept thinking that a lesson about baptism would be simple to find and easy to tie in, but I kept coming back to the address. This conference talk means the world to me. Before it, my understanding of Christ’s Atonement was limited and because of this my application of it you could say was limited. Much of this talk is focused on Alma’s words in chapter 24, specifically the following verses:
13 And it acame to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
14 And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as bwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions.
15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did astrengthen them that they could bear up their bburdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with cpatience to all the will of the Lord.
My hope for this week, if you are looking for an activity or lesson that focuses on the teaching or application from this week, I hope you choose to spend time studying this address.
Click Here to Read Bednar’s, “Bear Up Your Burden with Ease.
I was able to find a few resources specific to this talk that may be of use to you. I’ve also included a Free Handout page that highlights some of my favorite takeaways that you can download and color, put in your scriptures, or place in a spot for daily reflection.
Click Here to Download the Free Handout
This FREE Printable above is only available to members of Living on Lemon Lane. You must be signed in to access.
Not a member? Not a problem! Sign-up is FAST, FREE and Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezy! Click here to become a member!
Already a Member? Click Here to Log In
Check out this Free Coloring page that goes along with Bednar’s Address by Life’s Journey to Perfection, Click Here for Access to the Coloring Page.
If you do an activity PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take pictures and tag me! Post to the Facebook group, or tag @livingonlemonlane on Instagram! Don’t forget to pin these images to your Pinterest. This is a SMALL and SIMPLE way to support the efforts of Living on Lemon Lane and sharing these ideas with your friends and family.
To stay up to date, and show your support make sure to follow @livingonlemonlane on Instagram!
Make sure to tag a friend to help spread the word.
Teaching Ideas for Toddlers & Young Children
Watch or Listen To:
With a 2-year-old and 4-year-old, I understand the STRUGGLE and the attention span you are dealing with. Below are some of my favorite videos or audio recordings|podcasts you can listen to and watch with your children. My favorites right now are the Book of Mormon Story videos.**Different from the newly released B.O.M. videos. These are illustrated and READ stories to your children. THESE are PERFECT for when everyone is strapped in the car seat. My 4-year-old now requests these over the radio. Each segment is only 2-4 minutes long. This allows us to listen, review and discuss together, and listen again throughout the week. Many of the videos I share can be found on the Saint’s Radio Channel App. (Formerly Mormon Channel App, If you don’t already have this, DOWNLOAD NOW.)
I am absolutely LOVING the YouTube Channel, Latter Day Kids. Each week they put out a beautifully illustrated video meant for young children to be used in conjunction with the Come Follow Me Lessons. This week’s video is all about standing for Truth. You can even head to their website to download discussion questions to go along with the video and a fun coloring page.
Click Here to access this week’s Printables and Activities
If you have trouble finding the activity from the link above this one is a direct link, however, please remember to subscribe to Latter Day Kids as a way to THANK them for sharing their talents FREELY.
Click here to subscribe to Latter Day Kids
Drawn In: Free Sample of Subscription Videos
The ONLY Paid Subscription I use for Come Follow Me
Click Here to Learn More, Use Code LEMONLANE10 for an exclusive discount off the yearly membership!
I’ve recently teamed up with David Bowman artist, author and creator of the Drawn-In Video Subscription to bring a discount to all Living on Lemon Lane readers. This is the ONLY Paid Come Follow Me product that I have a subscription to, and it is worth every cent. Each week you get TWO engaging and fun videos (around 20 minutes long each!) as well as exclusive content and printables! Like his books, instead of just introducing the scripture story he explains a principle, then takes it a step further by exploring APPLICATION. Click here to watch his Free Videos, If you’re interested make sure to use the promo code LEMONLANE10 at checkout to recieve 10% off of the yearly membership!
- Illustrated Book of Mormon Stories: Chapter 15 Alma Teaches and Baptizes page 43 Click Here to Download the PDF
- Alma Baptizes Many People: Cutest Illustrated Scripture Story WITH Coloring Page
- Alma Believed Abinadi: Another CUTE Illustrated Scripture Story WITH Coloring Page
- My Big Decision: Story about Baptism from the Friend
Click Here for Free Abinadi Coloring Page (Page 12)
Alma Teaching and Baptising Cut-Outs or Coloring Page- Click Here to Download
Joy in Baptism
Read Mosiah 18:10–11 about how Alma’s people clapped for joy when they learned about baptism. Find a picture of someone being baptized and point out what is happening in the scene. Then take turns hiding the picture and finding it. Whenever your child finds it, help them say, “I’m happy I can be baptized” and clap together for joy!
Teaching Ideas for Families
Watch or Listen To:
Finding time to make Come Follow Me can be tough, it can also be tough to keep the attention of family members. The Book of Mormon videos recently released by the church are a WONDERFUL resource.
My most favorite talk of all time would likely be this one… make time for this one this week, take the time to read through the text as well.
- I LOVE using the Institute and Seminary Manuals to aid my study! They answer questions, provide insight and background coupled with beautiful quotes from Prophets and Apostles.
- That Your Burdens May Be Light- Elder L. Whitney Clayton
- A Q&A About Covenants: New Era Article
Individual Study & Extension
Watch or Listen To:
Excellent Video and Explanation of the chapters for this week!
- John Welch Notes: Learn about the Book of Mormon with verse by verse commentaries from renowned Book of Mormon scholar.
- Alma- Young Man Hidden Prophet– Article by Scholar Matthew Bowen
- Unwavering Commitment to Jesus Christ- Elder Renlund
:MOST IMPORTANT PART:
Comment below and share YOUR favorite resources for this week of Come Follow Me in the Book of Mormon. Join the conversation on @livingonlemonlane on Instagram and stay updated on new blog posts! If you enjoyed this PLEASE SHARE! Till next week.